Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #47 (Read 29 times)

Cyberic

Is it weird if all this Stryd discussion makes me glad I DON’T have one??

Definitely not mandatory to have one. I like the accuracy of its foot pod, and that's why I bought it. Power is only useful to get an equivalent number in hills and wind. I would go back to not having a power meter and not miss it one bit.

DavePNW

This is where we shine. Or more accurately, don’t shine. Number of days per year of “heavy cloud” - clouds covering >75% of the sky.

City Days of Heavy Cloud % of Days
      Seattle, Washington 226 62
      Portland, Oregon 222 61
      Buffalo, New York 208 57
      Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 203 56
      Cleveland, Ohio 202 55
      Rochester, New York 200 55
      Columbus, Ohio 190 52
      Cincinnati, Ohio 186 51
      Detroit, Michigan 185 51

Dave

RunningOnSand

^

That makes more sense.

bluerun

Super B****

Eh, everybody's got issues. I just think it comes down to how it makes sense to you (and I'm speaking not about you YOU per se, but in general "you", if that makes any sense at all).

Okay that makes sense. HR data. I suppose you could throw cadence in there too.

And L/R contact balance

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

RunningOnSand

And L/R contact balance

I don't even know what that means. 

bluerun

Super B****

I don't even know what that means. 

How much time you spend on your left foot vs. how much time you spend on your right

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

DavePNW

^

That makes more sense.

You can measure that kind of thing in a whole lot of different ways.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Granted I don't run as much as you Stryd users, but have you performed a CP. test yet? (If you have and already reported about it, my apologies.)

My CP is über low, so I was thinking about performing a CP test b/c it also tells me I run all my runs too fast (aka in zones 2 and 3).

I have two 5Ks that I am using as the test. It has gone up but 1-2 numbers and not by much.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Also, I found this interesting since MN technically should've been on the list this year, with our lack of sunshine, but a few of you made the list!

The Cloudiest Cities in the United States

Rank City State Annual Hours of Sunlight
                    1 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 2,021.30
                    2 Anchorage Alaska 2,061.20
                    3 Seattle Washington 2,169.70
                    4 Columbus Ohio 2,182.60
                    5 Portland Oregon 2,340.90
                    6 Detroit Michigan 2,436
                    7 Indianapolis Indiana 2,440
                    8 Milwaukee Wisconsin 2,483.60
                    9 Philadelphia Pennsylvania 2,498.40
                    10 Chicago Illinois 2,508.40b

ETA: this hasn't been updated for 1.5 years, so it may be inaccurate now.

Interesting. I find plenty of sunny days in Indy in the last 5 months.

Damaris

Cyberic

I have two 5Ks that I am using as the test. It has gone up but 1-2 numbers and not by much.

It's a machine, guys. It can't "know" you. It analyzes the input it has. If you're not pushing near maximum effort regularly, the auto-CP is useless. Just turn it off, enter a 5K or 10K time in which you pushed hard, and that will be your CP. If you prefer, do a CP test. But turn auto-CP off. Again, Auto-CP is only good if you push near maximal effort regularly. If not, it will use one of your runs that you half assed and use that as near maximal effort as it expects you run maximal effort regularly.

ETA: Auto-CP takes into account 42 days of data. I leave Auto-CP on, but if it gets lower because I haven't been pushing lately, I'll ignore the new value it gives me, and use the one I know as a human being is what I'm worth.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't have the auto CP on either. But the 5Ks I've been able to run have not been to my max IMO, so to me, the number is still not accurate.

Damaris

Cyberic

Ok, maybe you could try a CP test? I've done the 9 minutes hard, 30 minutes jog, 3 minutes hard once, and it is a very hard workout.

BTW, I remembered on my run listening to a podcast or reading about the auto-CP, and it takes into account 90 days of data, and not 42 days as I posted before. There's a decay factor in the algorithm (the newer stuff "weighs" more in the formula than older stuff), and it's 90 days. Interesting, if you're in that kind of things.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have a 4 miler and a 5K next month, so I'll see what those results bring then. Doubt I can do 9 minutes hard right now that's not part of a race. I've done tempo runs and apparently that's not hard enough, lol.

For now, I've been running my easy runs at around 200 but wondering if I'm running them too fast. I do the speedwork using the CP that it's given and normally surpass it, which makes me think it's a bit lower than it should.

Damaris

Cyberic

Ok, maybe you could try a CP test? I've done the 9 minutes hard, 30 minutes jog, 3 minutes hard once, and it is a very hard workout.

BTW, I remembered on my run listening to a podcast or reading about the auto-CP, and it takes into account 90 days of data, and not 42 days as I posted before. There's a decay factor in the algorithm (the newer stuff "weighs" more in the formula than older stuff), and it's 90 days. Interesting, if you're into that kind of things.

onemile

I have a 4 miler and a 5K next month, so I'll see what those results bring then. Doubt I can do 9 minutes hard right now that's not part of a race. I've done tempo runs and apparently that's not hard enough, lol.

For now, I've been running my easy runs at around 200 but wondering if I'm running them too fast. I do the speedwork using the CP that it's given and normally surpass it, which makes me think it's a bit lower than it should.

So you're using power numbers that you know are too low to do speedwork too slow and wondering why your CP isn't accurate?  And you refuse to push yourself in order to get Stryd to measure a higher CP.  Makes sense.