Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23292 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I ran 23 miles last week, all easy.  This week some more at easy pace, getting back to the swing of things.

Damaris

SD_BlackHills

EPIC Detroit Marathon story.  Wow.

First of all, 2 marathons in 2 weeks requires super human endurance in my opinion.  My next thought mirrored jimmyb's about the customs issues.  

But the beers mid-race is brilliant!  I've never seen this before but then again I've only ran a few marathons (5 total now).  Apparently, I need to do my research and find one like this!

40 mph gusts that late in a marathon must be AWFUL!  Way to gut through that.  I live in a windy area and I rarely have to deal with winds that fierce.  I had to deal with a headwind with 30 mph gusts on top of about 18 mph sustained a few days ago for about 3 miles of a casual MAF style training run and thought I was going to die (almost blew me to a stop).  I think that was the worst wind I've dealt with all year honestly and you just dealt with FAR worse at the END of a freakin marathon!

Kudos!

Really hoping to see other runners here post stories about eventful races such as this.

Thank you for sharing.

BeeRunB

7.25 miles

1:37:00

aerobic intervals

127-141bpm

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Normally, the wind would kill my lungs, but fortunately, these were more gusts that passed and missed for the most part (except at the end).  And no, you don't need super human strength to run two in two weeks (nor run two in two days like I once did).  You just need to keep moving even when you are tired. Smile

I ran 4 on Monday and 7 last night.  Will head outside tonight as there is a rainy and cool front here that has us in the mid 70s for a day.  Can't waste that!

Damaris

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I am in recovery mode from last weeks 100 miles at Darkside Distance Festival. Temperature today in Atlanta 59-39F. I am not ready for low temps.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Enjoy the temps, Clay!!!  You are a beast!!!

I ran 38 miles, 4 days of those outside since we had a bit of a cold front with highs in the 80s.  Loved it!

Damaris

BeeRunB

I am in recovery mode from last weeks 100 miles at Darkside Distance Festival. Temperature today in Atlanta 59-39F. I am not ready for low temps.

Whoa! 100 miles, Ron. Congrats. Awesome. 

2:40:00

Ran this progressive style.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Whoa! 100 miles, Ron. Congrats. Awesome. 

2:40:00

Ran this progressive style.

Nice progression!

Damaris

SD_BlackHills

There is nothing like cold, wet, snowy, slick surfaces to absolutely enforce easy effort - low heart rate training!  It's brutal out there.  Cold wind chills.  All bundled up.  Stocking hat, gloves, heavy duty mittens over gloves.  It's also super dark in the mornings now so I'm wearing flashing armbands for safety.  On the bright side of things, running too fast is not an option!  

Anyone have a suggestion for good pair of water proof shoes for running in the snow?

Bert-o

I lost my rama

There is nothing like cold, wet, snowy, slick surfaces to absolutely enforce easy effort - low heart rate training!  It's brutal out there.  Cold wind chills.  All bundled up.  Stocking hat, gloves, heavy duty mittens over gloves.  It's also super dark in the mornings now so I'm wearing flashing armbands for safety.  On the bright side of things, running too fast is not an option!  

Anyone have a suggestion for good pair of water proof shoes for running in the snow?

I don't know, he looks pretty fast to me....

I'll be trying the Altra Timp for snow and slush this winter.  Add gaitors for deep stuff.  I'll report back.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Busy week at work, ugh.  Ran the Indy Monumental Half with hubby yesterday and came in at 2:27.  Perfect weather for running (low 40s and no sun).

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, this is peak week before Space Coast and so far, my knee has held.  Did 11 with 5 @ MP on Wednesday and OrangeTheory today and super fast segments, as quality.  So far, so good.

Damaris

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Miles4Maria time event 15.6 miles.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Bueller?  Bueller?

Anyway, here is my RR from the Indy Monumental.  I ran 5 miles last night and starting a taper for Space Coast.  I did register for a 10K this Sunday, gasp!  Will be my first attempt at running fast since the 5Ks I did post knee surgery. I'll be curious to see how fast I can run (and I have a goal that I'll keep to myself until I finish it).

Last Saturday, I ran the Indy Monumental Half Marathon with my husband.  Coming from two weekends of marathons, I thought it would be a nice break to run it with my husband and taking it easy.  We had a great trip and had a great time at the race, coming in two minutes slower than his HM PR from Seattle earlier this year.

I had run the Indy Marathon last year with my BFF Mary and we had a great time, but I had a tough time during the marathon with my asthma and my medication side effects (exhaustion, weight gain, etc.) that I did not have at all this year.  However, I did not want to run another marathon (well, I did, but mentally I needed a break) before Space Coast later this month, so taking it easy and running the half worked perfectly.

When we looked for flights to Indy, the flights were pretty expensive (contrary to last year), so we started looking for airports nearby.  We remembered that Fiona the Hippo was already a sensation at the Cincinnati Zoo, so we checked flights to Cincinnati and made plans to fly into Cincy and see Fiona.  I was really looking forward to it.

We got into Cincinnati/Kentucky International Airport at 11pm on Thursday night and drove a few miles to a Newport, KY, hotel (barely opened for a couple of months) with a view across the river into Cincinnati and stayed the night.  On Friday morning, we woke up too early (damn it, I can sleep well), so we got into the Newport Aquarium before heading to the Cincinnati Zoo to see our hippo baby.  I couldn't wait!

We arrived at the zoo around 11am, and the weather was conducive to the hippos being in the pool.  We saw the whole zoo as well, but the closer we got to Fiona, the more excited I was. Like Darla, you know, when she is told: piranha is a fish, just like your present...

As we head into the hippo pool, we noticed this huge line of people and kids, which ended up being the Fiona line.  Normally, this is her at the Zoo, crashing a wedding proposal and being sassy as an internet sensation:

But, of course, she heard I was coming so she laid in the glass to sleep and didn't wake up until after I had left the zoo:

So, Miss Sassy Fiona was mostly a tired teenager that does not want to wake up and go to school, ha!  Still, I loved finally seeing her in person and the other animals at the zoo.  I really liked this zoo.

Man, the lions are so friendly, they get right in your face. Smile  Fortunately, there was glass between us. Ha.

After the Zoo, we headed to Indianapolis, but not before finding a Mexican Restaurant somewhere in Ohio to have lunch.  We arrived at Indy after 3pm and headed straight to the hotel and later the zoo. This time, we stayed at the Hilton Indianapolis, which was right at the start line.  That worked much better than last year, since we had basically a 0.05 walk from the lobby to the start and we were able to sleep until an hour before the start, which is my preference.  Will definitely book this hotel next time.

After the expo, which is relatively small but nice, we met some of my friends from RWOL and the FB Sub-4 group (fortunately, they have not thrown me out due to lack of sub-4, LOL), for dinner:

This time, Mary was running the marathon and I wasn't, so we planned on seeing each other at the start and say goodbye when we crossed the finish line.  It was nice to see her again, even though we text up a storm in between our once a year meetups, ha.  Here is us at the start line:

And we were off!  The weather was gorgeous, windchills in the low 40s for most of the race and cloudy.  There was hardly any wind and although the forecast said rain, it never happened.  I decided on a tank and arm warmers since I was running easy and I was glad I went that light.  The arm warmers got too warm during the race but by then they were stuck to my arms so I didn't touch them.

We were doing good after running the first mile easyish.  Still run/walking at his favorite of 6:1 and doing good.

I was looking for my friend Kathy, since we were unable to find each other in the corrals, so I was looking for a BB8 tech and she found us between the 5K and the 10K.  We took a quick selfie:

And we parted ways once again.  Later, when I saw the water station dressed as Star Wars characters, I knew she was going to enjoy that (and she did!).

At some point after Mile 10, his ITB started hurting so we slowed a bit.  But at Mile 11, he left me in the dust and I was like WTF.  I started chasing him for 0.50 mile but I was stopped to let an ambulance cross the street so I couldn't catch up to my husband (who is slower than me) until his next walk break.  He was on fire (and I assume he had ACDC's Thunderstruck on repeat, LOL).  I guess his ITB wasn't hurting now!

So for the next two miles, every time he ran, he would leave me in the dust and I would catch him during his walk break.  I was able to fully catch him at Mile 13 as we headed to the finish line and I did the usual Hell No! when he tries to catch ME, but he just speeded up like a bullet and beat me by 2 seconds.  FFS.  LOL.  We ended up running 2:27 something, which is one of his fastest halves, so he was happy.  Here are some pics of our adventure.

I really like this race.  The weather is normally cold enough for a marathon and it's what non-Miamians would call flat (it is not Miami flat, though). Smile  We will return often and I will try either one of the races each time.  Worth running for sure!

Damaris

SD_BlackHills

Docket, you tell the best race stories.  Can't wait to hear the next one!