Dogs! (Read 1450 times)

Hi guys! I'm new here, but this thread caught my eye since I experienced an attack last fall. I had moved to a rural area last May. There's only two routes I can take, left or right. Well, to the right there are several dogs in a short distance that all chase me. This one house had three labs that would always come into the road and chase me. One of them always sounded mean, growling and such. I talked to the owners and they said they would never hurt anyone. I felt a lot better. I just ignored them and kept my pace and went on my way each time. Well, in September, after running by there for four months, that mean sounding dog took a chomp into my calf and knocked me into the asphalt. It scared the living daylights out of me. I cried like a big baby and was screaming. The owners were very nice about the whole thing and took me to the ER and paid all the bills, but I won't run that way anymore because of the other dogs that are there, two heelers and two gread danes. I just wanted to tell you that I DID have my pepper spray, but I was already past the dogs and thought they had gone back home. I guess sometimes it doesn't matter how prepared you are!
    ~Janet.Mc in Texas Houston Marathon - 2005 Miracle Match Half Marathon - 2007
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Terrible story. I am a dog person, but there is NO excuse. Totally unacceptable. The owners may be ncie, but they are liable. If a dog follows you ever: Run AT the dog. Yell or bark at the dog. Every time you run past a dog, you are telling it that it is more alpha than you. Which gives it license to attack you in its mind. Don't ever teach a dog that you are meat. If the dog attacks: Grab it by the neck or collar Push the neck to the groud with all your weight
        I live in a very rural area and most dogs are not on a leash. After fighting off dogs twice (and once I used pepper spray- police issued pepper spray- the really good stuff- it had NO EFFECT on the dogs- but made me gag) I finally gave up on running from my house. I now run at a park on my way home from work or at a national park for my long runs. It makes me sad that I don't feel safe on my own streets, but my runs are much more enjoyable now that I don't have dogs chasing me (it also helps keep my heart rate down).

Drunk Half Lotus Pose

I was finishing a run Sunday afternoon, just steps from walking up my driveway when the neighbor’s medium sized Chow looking dog comes charging at me, barking it’s head off. This wasn’t any, “I’m happy to see you! Do you have a treat? Take me for a ride!” bark, it was, “I’m going to rip your face off!” type of bark. I stopped in my tracks and turned away from the mean barking dog. The neighbor lady comes walking after her dog calling for her and saying, “She won’t bite.” The dog stops barking long enough to sniff me; I guess she didn’t like what he smelled (I was stinky from my run) because she jumped on me with her mouth wide open. I felt certain this dog was going to bite me! The walking neighbor finally got to her dog and drug her back into the house. I think she might have said she was sorry but I was too freaked out to say anything. I walked into the house and told my husband what happened, then burst out into tears; I was really frightened. Freakin' Dog. ~Jen
          Jennifer

Imminent Catastrophe

... If a dog follows you ever: Run AT the dog. Yell or bark at the dog. Every time you run past a dog, you are telling it that it is more alpha than you. Which gives it license to attack you in its mind. Don't ever teach a dog that you are meat. If the dog attacks: Grab it by the neck or collar Push the neck to the groud with all your weight
            That's right. Dog psychology 101. Dogs spend their entire lives trying to be alpha. If you run away, you have just made them alpha (dominant). If you challenge them and make it abundantly clear that you are not to be messed with, 99% of the time they will back off. That means, you turn and face them, run toward them, yell at the top of your lungs, pick up a stick or rock or whatever. Have you ever seen fighters before a fight, trying to psych out their opponent? It's the same. Some local dogs on my running route have crossed their property line twice, but have since learned that I am alpha and not to be challenged. Now they don't leave their property. A few times I carried a stick, just in case. Dogs know what a stick can do.If they were Michael Vick dogs and still come at you, do what Trent said, or pepper spray, or a big stick, or whatever it takes (there's a scene in the movie, No Country for Old Men, that shows what I mean). FYI, I have three Dobes: The one on the left is Daisy, my avatar and running partner. They are always on leash and under control.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Double IPA Please!

PerfesserR..I just had to respond, because we too own Dobies. Your kids are beautiful! We have a red and tan Male (will be two in March) and a Black and Tan Female who is a rescue (she will be 2 in July). I was just out with the both of them yesterday. Dobermans unfortunately have a bad reputation- if people only knew the truth about the breed. Velcro Dog anyone? Big grin Luckily I live in a pretty good area where all the dogs around are contained or are properly behaved.

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

straight amonia works wonders too!! might be tougher to carry though... .380 automatics are pretty small and light...and they will put down a dog also.... shooting one in the rear and having them bleed on their owners carpet and the vet bill to fix it MIGHT convince them to keep it tied up....but I doubt it....the owners will just sue you and make you pay for being on a street. grr...hate irresponsible dog owners...should use the pepper spray on them...LOL

Imminent Catastrophe

... Dobermans unfortunately have a bad reputation- if people only knew the truth about the breed. Velcro Dog anyone? Big grin
                  I guess the term "Velcro Dog" is pretty universal for Dobes, I hear it quite often.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I love dobbies with ears. Too f 'n cute!!!

- Anya

obiebyke

Yeah. Why cut off the ears and tail of a healthy dog just for looks? Poor babies! Cry

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

ScheriN

It amazes me at how lazy people can be about training their dogs. My husband and I spent hours training our dogs. Both walk without leashes and run with us, without leashes. The key is that they NEVER leave our sides. Even when other dogs come running right at us, my dogs ignore the other dogs and stick to our side. Looking back, it wasn't extremely difficult to train them, just took some time and patience. And I will admit that there are times we have to remind them of the rules. It makes me so sad to hear all your stories about aggressive dogs, because, in my opinion, the owner of those dogs could easily prevent those situations.
                          I agree. If you see one with it's tail and full ears, you would never know it was a dobermen. Does your cat run? lol

- Anya

obiebyke

Both of my cats run, yes. They routinely chase each other at full speed down the apartment. I feel bad for the people downstairs. *gallop gallop gallop* Big grin Maybe I could take them with me on a Gentle Leader? Wink

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

take me to your leader! Clowning around

- Anya

If a dog follows you ever: Run AT the dog. Yell or bark at the dog. Every time you run past a dog, you are telling it that it is more alpha than you. Which gives it license to attack you in its mind. Don't ever teach a dog that you are meat. If the dog attacks: Grab it by the neck or collar Push the neck to the groud with all your weight
                                Really good advice everyone! I have had my fair share of dog encounters and some just never seem to get the fact that all I want to do is keep cruising along in my run. Since we are on the topic of dogs I have been considering getting a dog to run with and I would really like to get one that can handle longer distances (12 - 20 milers if not more). I use to run w/ my brothers mixed breed dog (lab and chow mix) but it would always get sore paws before we could run any more than 4-6 miles 3-4 times a week. It seemed to be able to handle the longer distances ok, but I really want to make sure the dog that I do get will be able to handle the mileage. Any suggestions out there for good dog running breeds or mixed breeds for that matter (I am not picky)?