Bringing down cholesterol (Read 1258 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I agree with the oats. I have steel cut oats many mornings. I also eat a lot of fruit. Yogurt? If you buy farm yogurt without flavorants or sweeteners (just plain yogurt) it is usually fine. I make my own. Nuts are great, but don't eat more than about a half cup per day, preferably under a quarter cup. They are loaded with calories.
    areesemd

I would second everything Trent said. I would not put you on medicine at your age for your numbers. I would recommend regular exercise, healthy diet, plenty of fiber, eggs from chickens that wander around and choose their own food, consider taking an Omega-3 supplement. What were your triglycerides?
      t_runner

Thanks for the link on the local harvest Trent, that is really cool. Good news is, I live almost directly on the park that houses a "Countryside Conservancy" so I really have no excuse. Let's see.. I love steel cut oats, so no problem fitting that in a bit more. I have a yogurt maker, so I should probably actually use it. I am allergic to tree-nuts, so can't do walnuts/almonds. Do peanuts have any similar benefits? I am still waiting to hear on the triglycerides, it wasn't written down in my file so when I called the office this morning, all she could give me was the LDL/HDL. Thanks all for weighing in!

running yogi

Yes, fasting 14 hrs. I just called the office for the Milk - standard grocery store 2%. Pasteurized, homogenized, the whole nine yards. Wasn't sure where to find anything else.
          I found unhomogenized but pasturized milk at Trader Joe's. They just have one brand and I believe it is the Trader Joes brand. I am buying it mostly for my toddler. I do soymilk for myself. I recently joined a CSA(Community Supported Agriculture), and I get the freshest veges and eggs from farm. Try it you will get hooked. I personally believe heart health is the most important thing and that comes from a good diet and regular exercise. If you have slightly elevated cholesterol inspite of that I feel it's still better than the side affects of cholesterol lowering drugs in the long run. Of course my husband's doctor does not believe in that and he has my husband on statins and Zetia and as a result my husband too does not really believe in regular exercise or diet. My husband will frequently get unexplained muscle pulls and cramps. Try to read up and educate yourself. You will learn a lot.

SMART Approach

T Runner, Yes your HDL is awesome. Your ratio is less than 3.5 which is better than most in this country. Under 3.0 would be better. You have a strong hereditary influence which you can't control. This control probably 80% of your LDL productions. But, you do have some control. Do you have any other risk factors for heart disease? Smoking, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, family history of heart disease????? If high cholesterol is your only risk factor, I don't think you should have huge concern. You definitely need to be aware and try to get that LDL down through better eating and more fiber and less sugar and saturated fat, but the need for a statins at this time with that high HDL.....well, please give it some thought. Eating a lot of omega 3s, raw oats/fiber as mentioned above with fruits and vegetables will help. Also, when I tested cholesterols at my facility, I found a definite correlation to weight/fat loss and cholesterol going down. Do the above, lose 5-10 lbs and you will be fine I believe. Great that you are aware and willing to make a change. Most in this country are not willing to do what it takes to reach optimum health.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

areesemd

On a similar note, I get the Road Bike Review weekly newsletter, and this week it had an article on some elite riders who died of or had unexpected heart attacks. The article ended in a letter from an individual who was treated prior to having an MI, and the point made was because of training and improved efficiency, people who exercise regularly don't get the warning signs that typical people get. Their first sign of cardiac disease is the heart attack.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Do not eat nuts. Peanuts are not nuts, and are not as beneficial as tree nuts. Do not waste your time with a yogurt maker. Your grandmother (or her grandmother) made yogurt without one. All you need to do is get milk hot to the touch, cool it to warm to the touch and then add yogurt from your last batch (or from store-bought active culture yogurt). Put it in a warm place and the next morning you will have plain yogurt. I use 1 liter glass jars, the kind with the clamp-down lid. But any jar will work. I also use that pasteurized unhomogenized milk. Good yummy stuff!
                t_runner

Thanks for the tips on the yogurt. I think your directions sound even easier than the directions to the electric yogurt maker! I am not sure, but I think it might just keep the jars heated to a certain temperature while it is being made. I got it and never ever used it. So you don't have to watch the temperature on it once you pour it into a jar? Z - I do have a Trader Joe's 30 minutes away that I've been meaning to visit, so hopefully I can get some non-homogenized milk. Thanks! Stories like what your DH goes through make me really frightened about the meds. TChuck - My grandfather had a heart attack at age 50. Otherwise, I'm pretty much avoiding all the other risk factors you mentioned. My BP is really good - 100/60 or so. I absolutely want to do something about this, but NOT meds.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Heat the milk to hot to the touch, which is 180 degrees. Cool the milk to warm to the touch, which is 120 degrees. Add old yogurt. Place in an oven preheated to ~100 degrees, then turned off. Wrap the jars in a towel. That will keep it warm enough.
                      Heat the milk to hot to the touch, which is 180 degrees. Cool the milk to warm to the touch, which is 120 degrees. Add old yogurt. Place in an oven preheated to ~100 degrees, then turned off. Wrap the jars in a towel. That will keep it warm enough.
                      Trent: Do you then refrig the yogurt, or just make what you need? I am going to try this!

Ostrich runner

With fiber as the sponges and whatnot...I take fiber capsules a couple times a day, does it matter when they are taken?

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent: Do you then refrig the yogurt, or just make what you need?
                          I usually make a gallon at a time. The next morning, I stick the jars in the fridge. The yogurt is great, and makes a wonderful substitute for any recipe that calls for buttermilk (e.g., biscuits, pancakes). Fiver caps are okay, but natural sources of fiber are better overall.

The Greatest of All Time

To the original poster: I eat at least 50g of fiber a day and oatmeal every day as well. Works for me. I don't remember what my exact numbers were the last time they were checked but I do know they were exceptional. I am not as anal about my milk as Trent and I hate eggs.
                            all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Works for me.
                              How do you know? Did you do a pre/post study, controlling for confounders? Wink

A Saucy Wench

I lowered mine mostly with the same kind of diet. Whole grains...but minimal amounts of those. Mostly protein, &, tons of veggies and small amounts of fruit & whole grains. I dont drink milk often...not for cholesterol, just got out of the habit and find I sleep better without it. I am a little nervous about repeating my test since now my diet is not as clean and has more sugar and refined carbs. Truthfully for me watching the refined carbs did more for my cholesterol than watching saturated fat. Eggs, meat, cheese...those were ok although I usually went lowfat or lean.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7