Oh, by the way... leave your iPod at home (Read 1650 times)

A Saucy Wench

You're mean. But still no match for Rick Astley.
    heee.heee I was guessing that was what JK's link was to, sounds like I guessed right...no Rickrollin me you lousy ape!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Eye of the Tiger - Survivor Lame. That's why you'll not beat your PR, not the headphones.
        Yes, I was joking, but you never know someone might have hearing aids with a built in mp3 player or streaming capability over wireless. Big grin
        Then I apologize for jumpimg on your post. I did take it the wrong way. BTW, I think that races that allow the use of headphones/earbuds should require users to wear a "hearing impaired" sign on their backs....as deaf runners do. I have done that when running races without my hearing aids.
          BTW, I think that races that allow the use of headphones/earbuds should require users to wear a "hearing impaired" sign on their backs....as deaf runners do. I have done that when running races without my hearing aids.
          And we have a solution.
            "Classic defense strategy, my dengerous thing isn't as bad as X,Y,Z dangerous thing so I should be allowed to do it. Sorry, but sunglasses are not as dangerous as running w/ headphones, while there may be no studies to back this up there are plenty of anecdotal evidence that headphone wearers cause problems for other runners and I have never heard of someone saying "'that person wearing sunglasses is a nuisance" . Besides you can only see what is in front of you, and a bit to the side w/ peripheral vision. The problems headphone wearers cause is what goes on behind and beside them where they can't see. (hearing works in 360 degrees, it's cool like that). I have heard of races being canceled or postponed due to ice or lighting, but when that danger is to great the race directors are trying to protect everyone in the race, just like banning headphones is for everyone's protection." I've ran 20 of 21 races with headphones and have not ever once caused myself or anyone else to be in "danger". I turn and look behind anytime I make any lateral move, whether in a race, on the track or running the streets. I live in the middle of an urban area and do most of my runs on busy streets, many times crossing through heavy traffic and I am very aware of my surroundings. Compared to darting through and around Quincy Center at 5:30 PM (especially when its dark and icy), races couldn't seem any safer. "Got it, you're tougher than all of us who have never, ever, even once ever played a contact sport." If running next to someone who wears headphones is too dangerous for you, well... "Are you sure it didn't say no headphones on the registration form, you know in the waiver we all have to sign before entering any race, but rarely read all the way through? Maybe it didn't and if not I agree they shouldn't change at the last minute." It was an online form and definitely didn't say anything about headphones. "That is a great attitude to have about rules, do you follow that philosophy on all rules you don't like?" No, not usually.
            mikeymike

And we have a solution.
              What was the problem actually? I don't get wearing headphones in races but I could care less if someone else does. Headphones make you slower. It's true. I have conducted scientific, peer-reviewed studies that PROVE it. You can too. First, go to a road race. Next, watch the finishers and count how many of the 20 finishers are wearing headphones. Next, count how many of the next 20 finishers are wearing headphones, then the next 20, etc. You will find that the farther back in the pack you get, the higher the concentration of headphone wearers. Therefore, by using swamp aesthetic logic and erlang tables for statistical analysis, this proves that headphones make you slower. If a runner wants to do something in a race to make himself slower, I say to each his own (as long as he lines up behind me.) Also, Eye of the Tiger was a great song.

Runners run

For anyone who is interested, one of the most objective and unemotional forum discussions I have seen on this subject is here on the Road Race Management website. It includes comments by several race directors concerning problems that the use headphones have caused in their races, comments by Hal Higdon, and a description by Ryan Hill (hillrunr on running forums) of a headphone-related incident at the beginning of a race that resulted in several injured runners, including one with a broken leg.
                  "Classic defense strategy, my dengerous thing isn't as bad as X,Y,Z dangerous thing so I should be allowed to do it. Sorry, but sunglasses are not as dangerous as running w/ headphones, while there may be no studies to back this up there are plenty of anecdotal evidence that headphone wearers cause problems for other runners and I have never heard of someone saying "'that person wearing sunglasses is a nuisance" . Besides you can only see what is in front of you, and a bit to the side w/ peripheral vision. The problems headphone wearers cause is what goes on behind and beside them where they can't see. (hearing works in 360 degrees, it's cool like that). I have heard of races being canceled or postponed due to ice or lighting, but when that danger is to great the race directors are trying to protect everyone in the race, just like banning headphones is for everyone's protection." I've ran 20 of 21 races with headphones and have not ever once caused myself or anyone else to be in "danger". I turn and look behind anytime I make any lateral move, whether in a race, on the track or running the streets. I live in the middle of an urban area and do most of my runs on busy streets, many times crossing through heavy traffic and I am very aware of my surroundings. Compared to darting through and around Quincy Center at 5:30 PM (especially when its dark and icy), races couldn't seem any safer. "Got it, you're tougher than all of us who have never, ever, even once ever played a contact sport." If running next to someone who wears headphones is too dangerous for you, well... "Are you sure it didn't say no headphones on the registration form, you know in the waiver we all have to sign before entering any race, but rarely read all the way through? Maybe it didn't and if not I agree they shouldn't change at the last minute." It was an online form and definitely didn't say anything about headphones. "That is a great attitude to have about rules, do you follow that philosophy on all rules you don't like?" No, not usually.
                  D'oh.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

I've ran 20 of 21 races with headphones and have not ever once caused myself or anyone else to be in "danger". I turn and look behind anytime I make any lateral move, whether in a race, on the track or running the streets. I live in the middle of an urban area and do most of my runs on busy streets, many times crossing through heavy traffic and I am very aware of my surroundings. Compared to darting through and around Quincy Center at 5:30 PM (especially when its dark and icy), races couldn't seem any safer.
                    Have you noticed that nobody but yourself is defending your position? Other than giving you the fact that they probably shouldn't have changed last minute. If you want stupid rules. Here is one far more ridiculous. Back in the HS track days at the big meets (i.e. not duals or triangles) if you were on a relay team you couldn't be wearing anything different than your teammates other than what was on your feet. If you wanted an under shirt or biker shorts or whatever, the answer was no unless all your teammates wore the same thing in the same color. Can you just admit you want to be antisocial?
                      Sorry, but I didn't graduate HS in 1987... those songs you mentioned sound more like something a person with a Gerry Cheevers avatar would listen to. Wink My playlist for the race will probably look something like this: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/17f211dad91b4fdd90edaea7f7698965#focus
                      Ah yes, this looks like the playlist of someone who graduated in '94.

Amy

To the OP: I'll take you at your word that the online reg. form didn't say anything about the no headphones rule. So, email the race director and ask for your money back on that basis. I'm sure that s/he will refund it. It would be the only reasonable thing to do. Then, find a race where you can where your headphones. But, I don't think you should openly flaunt a rule that has been clearly and explicitly communicated to you in advance of the race. You get it, as you've stated here, you just don't agree. So, vote with your feet - and find another race.
                          Sorry, but I didn't graduate HS in 1987... those songs you mentioned sound more like something a person with a Gerry Cheevers avatar would listen to. Wink My playlist for the race will probably look something like this: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/17f211dad91b4fdd90edaea7f7698965#focus
                          Holy crap. You're complaining that you can't run w/o some house music and final kick supported by "Smack my Bitch Up," and "Eye of the Tiger?" (released, by the way, in 1982). Really? Anyway, we both know that when you read my post, you smacked your head and said "Jump Around, now that's a great song. I forgot about that." You crack me up. Fight the power (oh wait, that is on my Ipod).
                            Wow some of you are quite hard on BostonChris. I don't care too much if other joggers wear headphones. Because that alone tells me they are not very fast and need something to get their mind off the mental pain of racing. They usually are easy targets because they cannot run as fast as I can since I have no bells and whistles to drag around with me. But I do understand why the race would not allow headphones. At my last race there was 1 wheelchair racer. A bike was pacing him and the guy on the bike had a megaphone to tell runners to move out of the riders way "Wheeler on the right - coming through thank you"...well the runners got out of his way except for one kid who just jogged with headphones at the very right edge of the sidewalk...until the biker stuck his headphone right into the kids ear and rode right beside him and bellowed "wheeler coming through on the right" well the kid finally noticed the biker...and looked back to see the wheelchair rider...he didnt hear the biker cuz he stayed on the right and the wheelchair rider had to pass on the left. If I was pacer Chris though I would bring the ipod and I bet you lots of runners will have them...if there are lots of runners with them then you should wear them.
                            JakeKnight

I've ran 20 of 21 races with headphones and have not ever once caused myself or anyone else to be in "danger".
                              I could not possibly care less about this now decaying horse - unless you drop your pod in front of me at a big city marathon - but I can't help but point out the blisteringly obvious problem with the above logic. In my earlier, slightly dumber years, I probably drove a dozen times after having a few (read: several) too many beers. These dumber years were generally overseas, and most of those inebriated drives involved a 20 mile trip on the A94 on the way north towards Aberdeen, Scotland. At 90 miles an hour, driving on the wrong side of the road, with the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car. And yet I never got a ticket. Or caused an accident! So clearly - by your logic - drunk driving is perfectly safe. Right? Or maybe - just maybe now, bear with me - it makes a little more sense to compare my own stupid-but-fortunate experience with drunk driving with the mountain of empirical data that suggests I was just lucky. Or if we really have to cling to lame anecdotal data ... how about I Google "drunk driving deaths" and see if everybody is as lucky as my experience seems to prove? Or hey, here's a crazy thought: maybe your anecdotal experience could be put in context with the dozens or hundreds (thousands?) of injuries and deaths to iPod wearing runners every year. I think every runner knows of at least a couple such stories. And I've never met an iPod wearer - including me - who hasn't had a couple close calls because of self-induced deafness. (And of course, anecdotal evidence matters, right?) You get my point. To be blunt, to argue that its safe - to you, and especially to other runners - is just plain stupid. Its not. You know its not. You'll probably get away with it. Most drunk drivers do, too. But at least they've got the common sense to know that they shouldn't be doing it and not to argue something that is plainly factually ridiculous. No offense intended, BC. I do think some folks are being pretty hard on you. I love my iPod personally and I won't give it up, either. But I'll also admit that if I wear it in a race, I might be being stupid. Which rarely stops me from doing things. So if we have to continue pummeling poor Mr. Ed, let's keep it friendly. And vaguely based on reality.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

The Greatest of All Time

all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.