Masters Running

Mondaily, 11.13.23 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Good idea to get the stack of unread books down a bit, Dave, and it should be a good time too. How was the chili? Whenever we make chili, there are always leftovers, and they never go to waste. How did your batch come out?

Good 2.73 morning miles with windage, Jlynne, and then 20 minutes of stretching and "core stuff."

Good and comfortable and consistent 6.5 miles, moebo. Thanks for the suggestion of a backpack instead of my tote bag for moving stuff around. I'll have to ask DW to get mine down from the top of my closet. I hope you had a good trip back to CT.

Nice 5.2 Golden Gate miles, KSA. Sounds like it is a great trip.

Good 12 mile "treat" in snow, wind, and rain, sub7. Is that a weather trifecta? I'm glad you finally got some sun after all that.

Nice 4 miles of interval sin IRC, Enke. I'm glad your knee behaved itself. Keep up the good work.

Good slightly-underdressed 41 mile ride with windage, tramps.

Nice 19 miles on the trainer, Doug, with a bonus 3 mile Clinton River Trail walk. I'm glad you are feeling a positive difference in your conditioning. When I get outside for a workout, I'm always unplugged, and I always appreciate the loud and the subtle sounds around me.

Yep, Tammy: not being sore the day after a race is always good.

"With a P&R print out in hand, I'm simultaneously mapping my routes on MapMyWalk, FitBit, Mademosielle RunKeeper, Stravae and AllTrails" I think you need more ways to may your routes, Tet - that's not nearly enough.

Tough and banged-up Deeze did a 30-minute Peloton ride. Wise move to rest the rest of the day.

Congrats on the extended, walk, dnaff, including a perimeter at the dog park. How'd the hasselback come out?

Nice 1.55 miles with King L, RCG. It wasn't a boring talk about bridge, and I'm glad to get your and other people's perspectives on that and other games, and I'm glad that you and the rrs enjoy the game so much. I also get annoyed with people who are out and about and have their phones on speaker so we can hear all of both sides of their conversation. I know a lot of people do that without thinking about it. I try my best to ignore it, but I think it is just rude.

Good 7.5 plowed trail miles under the Deep Blue, Wildchild. I'm amazed that it is time for screw shoes already.

Stumpy! Good 2.1 miles around Breakheart. I'm sure Maggie liked it too. Interesting about the tow rope.

Good 45 minutes of weights and core, Holly, and lots of cooking too.

Nice 3.1 miles on Friday, Steve, and good work over the weekend.

Interesting to read people's reaction to the 'ketchup' story. I can't imagine anyone using it in the middle of a workout or race. On my fries, I may use mustard, malt vinegar, or an interesting aoli, but rarely ketchup.

I probably should take my phone with me on my workouts (just in case...), but I never think of it till I'm too far from home to go back for it. But also, despite the good reasons for having it available, I don't really want to bother with it - having my Garmin is more than enough technology for a workout.

Exciting day yesterday: I crutched up and down a few stairs, got in the car and drove a bit and got back out just to make sure I could do it, and even went for a very short crutches walk up and down the driveway. And the shower bench I had ordered arrived late on Saturday so I could finally take a shower instead of sponge-bathing (TMI??), although it certainly was a process.

I was up a J o'clock this morning and used the Murphy bed in the guest room to do 35 minutes of stretching, knee exercises, and some upper body work. Maybe I can get out for a bit of a walk again this morning.

OK - time to get to work - have a greta Monday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

coastwalker, I hear you and concur on the ketchup and fries though I have never used mustard. A good fry with malt vinegar is the way to fly in my book. Do be careful with the rehab as it's tough to come back from injuries at our age...

DW and I are going for our fall shots this morning after my workout but before I possibly venture out for a short run if the sun and temp keep trending in the right direction. Gotta take advantage of this bizzare hot week, hot being somewhat subjective in the grand scheme of things. We possibly talk later. Have a greight one Masters!

...mornin'....

hope you're feeling better jay

=========

ironically

I've been dealing with a pulled Trapezius Muscle

and

the Latissimus Dorsi

Have

absolutely no idea how I managed to do that

and

finally figured out some stretches for it

Naturally

haven't missed any work-outs for the last 10-days, just was so sore I didn't feel like posting them

also

they were kind of wimpy anyway

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Packing to go home.  Thanks for the start, Jay.  Good recap.  Good morning, sub7.   5 miles for me here in the SF neighborhood for my last run.  It’s been a great trip, but I am SO tired.  I just don’t adjust to time zones.   We had great Burmese food last night, which is sort of a combination of Indian and Chinese.    You do see some strange people here….

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Hey, All - I enjoyed what time I had alone over the weekend.  It was nice.  The Hub - that guy drives me crazy!  The Ducks game was at 7:30.  They didn't end up getting back to his cousin's house until 1:00 a.m., at which point he got in his truck and drove the 6 hrs home. Foolish, I tell ya, foolish.

Jay, when I had my hamstring surgery, I didn't realize the covering they put on the surgery area was water proof, so for over a week I sat on the edge of an overturned 5 gal bucket with my right butt cheek hanging off, while The Hub helped me suds up and rinse off, all while trying to keep that area dry.  Pretty comical AND uncomfortable.  That's what happens when instructions are given to a person coming out of anesthesia instead of the person who's in charge of taking care of them. 

Ketchup?  I love ketchup, but as a running fuel? Blech!! 

Yesterday got in a 5 mile walk/run with more running than I've done in the last 6+ weeks and no lasting negative effect.  I'm getting there.  This a.m. it was 40 min of core/ST.

And just a few minutes ago, the female partner of the firm, with whom I had a meltdown on Friday, brought me an amaryllis bulb encased in wax.  Said it's supposed to bloom without watering. We'll see!

From my walk/run yesterday.  This was ranch property that, I'm assuming, sold back to the county, and all last year work was done to return it back to its former wetlands/marshlands self along Highway 101.  It's coming along nicely, and already wildlife is returning.

May be an image of lake, grass and horizon

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Ketchup, I can only tolerate it on fries, but prefer tartar or ranch sauce.

I think if North Americans had not grown up in a culture of ketchup on fries, and tried it for the first time as adults, we'd say YUK!

Will do a walk sometime today. Rest up for a longer run tomorrow.

I am looking for a 5K race in the Jan/Feb timeframe and not seeing anything appealing. Maybe I will try a parkrun.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Enke. That is a very good point re ketchup on fries. I'll go further to say it all depends on the potato preparation. My very best flavor experience with French fries was way back when I was a teenager at the Cherry Blossom Festival in Barberton Ohio. My best friend, Linda, introduced me to these delicious "boardwalk style" fries. She shook some malt vinegar on them and said "Taste this"

I did. Life changing.

So I guess ketchup on fries if the fries are inferior.

On hotdogs? Only mustard. Relish. Or chilli.

Never ketchup on a hot dog.

In my gastronomical opinion.

MTA. That friend has been running her family's very successful restaurant in Akron for decades now.  They started out with a hamburger booth at a county fair! Now I think they have 2 restaurants and a branch restaurant at the Akron Canton Airport

Marathon Maniac #957

ironically

I've been dealing with a pulled Trapezius Muscle

and

the Latissimus Dorsi

Have

absolutely no idea how I managed to do that

Tom - I have done the same thing with that area before - pulled something with no idea how, but boy does it smart!  Hope you get some relief soon.

Holly - How did the concoction turnout?  

Haven't made it yet, but I did get the Vitamin B2.  Will  I need to get a black light to see the glow?

I love ketchup on fries and cheeseburgers, but can't imagine trying to eat it as fuel during a run. Yuck.

I don't think I have ever had Boardwalk Fries.  However, I would not describe the fries I have experienced as "inferior."  But then, I have never had Boardwalk Fries.     

I had to look up Hasselback Potatoes, and now I think I will make them this weekend.

No run for me today.  I had the worst gas cramps - I mean OWWWWW, had me doubled over in pain for a while. How can something so seemingly harmless be so freaking painful?  At any rate, they resolved just about the time I had to go to work, so no workout, but maybe I'll get something in tonight.

I made English Toffee yesterday, using the Schultz Family Recipe, and brought some in to work to put in the breakroom.  We call it Christmas Crack....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

2.6 mile power walk to library to return a book, then to grocery store for a few items. It hailed on me on the way back. Nice.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay - the distance measured by the six apps, etc. I turned on on the upper loop of the north side park yesterday ranged from 1.72 - 2.02 miles (1.72, 1.74, 1.74, 1.85. 1.91 and 2.02 miles)

Tom - nice visual. You should go to one of the dentists I went through after my regular retired back in 2014 as the one you might like but I didn't would not only tell you that your teeth were bad but had a 3D imaging that let him put color pictures of your chipped, broken, cary'ed, etc. teeth and pink gums right in front of your face while you were reclined down in the dentist chair and couldn't escape to reinforce to you how bad your teeth were.  Thanks okay, just tell me. I'll believe you.

Except for a former Seahawks' quarterback who took the team to Superbowl XL that the officials later admitted they made botched calls that helped the Steelers win but, since it was way back in 2006, I'm pretty much over it, I've never heard of Hassleback potatoes, either but,, looking them up, I see I've been doing a little thicker slice version ever since campfire cooking them on the Yukon River in 1965 to make the potatoes cook a little faster.

Three barely yellow anymore leaf shuffling as-much-as-possible IWC miles from the public EV charger 0.9 miles away over on First Hill including getting back in time to watch the the second day highlights of the last of the six annual sumo tournaments I used to get to go to once-in-a-while in Japan days.

ps - ketchup on hot dogs is about it for me. Putting ketchup on French Fries makes 'em taste like tomatoes instead of potatoes.  Probably never liked it that much after I saw a hs friend who went to the UW too put ketchup on his steak. Even though I haven't eaten a steak for years, it still makes me wince.  .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

''Except for a former Seahawks' quarterback who took the team to Superbowl XL that the officials later admitted they made botched calls that helped the Steelers win but, since it was way back in 2006, I'm pretty much over it, ''

...glad you've come to terms, sounds traumatic,,,,,,

============

...30-min StairClimber.........

==========

would

mention I like ketchup mixed in with mayo

when

I make my Famous Sardines and Rice dish

but

given a majority of people gag at that, I'll refrain

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

I also looked up Hasselback potatoes, and might give them a try!

Enjoy the showering, Jay!  All the moving around on crutches and the walker will be a good upper body workout, at least.

I dislike ketchup.  We have some in the fridge for DH, though.  And I don't eat hamburgers or hot dogs anyway, but if I did, I'd put mustard on them.

I did a 4.2 mile trail run over in Golden Gate Canyon State Park (a different GG Park from Karen!)  and it was a lovely sunny warm day.  There's some snow in the shady parts but the sunny parts are dry dirt.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

You should go to one of the dentists I went through after my regular retired back in 2014 as the one you might like but I didn't would not only tell you that your teeth were bad but had a 3D imaging that let him put color pictures of your chipped, broken, cary'ed, etc. teeth and pink gums right in front of your face while you were reclined down in the dentist chair and couldn't escape to reinforce to you how bad your teeth were.  Thanks okay, just tell me. I'll believe you.

(wincing)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

On hotdogs? Only mustard. Relish. Or chilli.

Never ketchup on a hot dog.

In my gastronomical opinion.

Thumbs up on that, and preferably spicy brown mustard. On hamburgers I usually have ketchup and mustard and nothing on fries unless I'm feeling nostalgic (or they're really dry) and I'll put ketchup on them.

Continuing with the fine weather today: 60F and not a cloud in the sky. I hope my other Great Lakes friends (Anne, dnaff, Jeanne?) are experiencing the same. Anyway, my DW and I took another of our favorite walks through a local park - the one with the big stairs -- for a good 3-miler this afternoon.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Henrun

I’m also not a fan of ketchup on fries. Grew up in Canada with malt vinegar on my fish and chips. When we were in London several months ago I was in fish and chips heaven drenched with malt vinegar. On hot dogs I like them Chicago style with everything (bbq sauce, hot sauce, veggies, etc.) but I do put ketchup on burgers but would never use them as fuel.

Last evening we were at a gala for a non profit and were treated to a fantastic dinner, stand up comedian and music. Took place at the old Cheers bar from the tv show in Beacon Hill.

Just indoor cycling and stretching today and several walks.