ultimate runner's test...... (Read 4097 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

You could always read it backward; that might make more sense than it made going forward -- but I doubt it.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

A Saucy Wench

This is the first post I read in this thread and I'm a little scared. I'm not even going to try to figure out what has been going on in the past 23 pages.
      Save it for a day when you are sick in bed and need a laugh to kill the hours.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Jazz hands!

This is the first post I read in this thread and I'm a little scared. I'm not even going to try to figure out what has been going on in the past 23 pages.
        It was like how if you put infinite monkeys in a room with typewriters eventually they'll write Hamlet, but without the monkeys or the typewriters or the Hamlet.
        run run run AHHHHHH run run run
          It was like how if you put infinite monkeys in a room with typewriters eventually they're write Hamlet, but without the monkeys or the typewriters or the Hamlet.
          I don't think the monkeys or typewriters are the parts that are missing.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It was like how if you put infinite monkeys in a room with typewriters eventually they'll write Hamlet, but without the monkeys or the typewriters or the Hamlet.
            I don't think the monkeys or typewriters are the parts that are missing.
            +a million!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Roses Revenge

So I tried this heel to toe walking thing on my way to the wine shop last night (long before I had anything to drink and without the benefit of flashing blue lights) and it seemed a less effective to move my foot forward and to the center line than to move my foot forward and put it down directly in front of where it was on the last step. But I'm old and slow and what do I know.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Feeling the growl again

Well if you're so qualified quit being cryptic and spit it out. What was "his sport"? Was it Usain Bolt in the 100m or Bekele in the 10,000m? Perhaps Gebreselaise in the marathon? What sport are you talking about? This is a RUNNING website so let's hear it.... What is "your sport?" Are you Bolt, Bekele, or Geb under s pseudonym? Or is tournament bridge now an athletic sport? Cricket, perhaps? Joggling? 9mph walk, great. Again, this is a RUNNING website. Who cares how fast you can move when purposely handicapping yourself by keeping a foot on the ground? That's 6:42 a mile, there are a few of us on here who can easily keep that up for 3+ hours for well over a marathon distance if we want to. Now how long/far was it you CONSTANTLY held that 9mph? And how does WALKING at 9mph mean you know anything about RUNNING?
                Interesting how you claim to be such an authority, yet when asked directly for succinct clarifications of the resume you provide you pretend you don't see it. Or when Trent asks you for refs to back up your "science" you blither around and avoid ever providing any... FRAUD is the only word that comes to mind. Go home, Richard.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

So I tried this heel to toe walking thing on my way to the wine shop last night (long before I had anything to drink and without the benefit of flashing blue lights) and it seemed a less effective to move my foot forward and to the center line than to move my foot forward and put it down directly in front of where it was on the last step. But I'm old and slow and what do I know.
                  I think it only works if you carry a jug of water on your head.... And you're Kenyan....
                    After trying what was being suggested after I had the benefit of a couple of beers (I most likely did it wrong anyway since its so goofy), I think that technique is sure bet to get ITBS or some other injury. I think even if one can walk 20% faster or climb steps more efficiently with practice as is being claimed, I highly doubt it'll translate to running.
                    sport jester

Biomimeticist

First and foremost, I thank you for at least trying what I wrote. And yes is does translate to running. 20% reduction in heart rat for identical speed to running with your traditional running technique. And that's already been proven. As to the IT question, no its not an issue. If you push your weight instead of pulling it, then you're creating unnecessary pressures with the IT. And if you're pushing your weight, you will also be lifting your heel off of the ground, which defeats the biomechanic advantage you're after. I admit that it does feel pretty strange to walk this way initially. Its a balance skill to learn. Walking perfectly on centerline is incredibly difficult. The question I would ask you isn't how goofy it feels, but if you notice that you're walking with absolutely no bounce to your step. That's what defines how well you're getting it. If you walk this way without added weight, you should also note that you need absolutely no arm swing either. And if you feel unstable, then what you're experiencing is the identification of the muscles that you'll be utilizing as they gain in strength to run 20% faster. If you can reach that goal initially, then going forward into running this way will make a lot more sense. I'll gladly walk you through the steps to transition into running. Plus there are a lot of muscles integrated into this technique utilized by the leg for strength and maintain balance. More important is that you're changing in a more efficient manner the sequence of every muscle you use. And initially it will feel less efficient just because you're now using very weak muscles you've never used before. And that's one reason that I teach it climbing stairs or steep incline on a treadmill. Under optimum stress as noted, the advantages are much more easy to recognize. learning on level ground is much harder, but not impossible to do. Instead of firewood as the women use, I utilize a weight vest. Or with my soldiers, its a 45lb pack, 25lb weapon, 25-35lbs of ammunition, as well as up to 16lbs of body armor... Ask one of my soldiers if I'm crazy, and they'll tell you that moving with my technique is much easier. Your goal at this point is learning to lean back with your upper body, keeping your heels on the ground with each step, and getting rid of your natural bounce in your step as well as elimination of arm swing as you walk... If you can do that, then the next steps will make more sense. Write me back.... As to the question of "science" or even the joke referred to as peer review, my question to you is easy; who are my peers? The women can walk carrying 20% of their bodyweight in firewood with no increase in heart rate is the science. And my peers are the ones besides myself who can mimic them... If you can find them, then I'll gladly write in their journals. The joke for me at this point is that walking and running this way is utilized by a lot of runners, I'm just giving you the insight to how and why they do it. roses, if you were walking one foot in front of the other, did you make the attempt to pull yourself onto each step? That's the primary difference. If you can become comfortable with pulling your weight instead of leaning forward and pushing yourself rearward, what you've just done is get rid of the biomechanic limits of overstriding. And if you can walk this way, the next steps will make more sense. I would ask if you would walk normally and with the centerline technique and describe the difference.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

Feeling the growl again

Interesting how you claim to be such an authority, yet when asked directly for succinct clarifications of the resume you provide you pretend you don't see it. Or when Trent asks you for refs to back up your "science" you blither around and avoid ever providing any... FRAUD is the only word that comes to mind. Go home, Richard.
                        Still dodging...answer my questions...Are you Geb or Bekele? What's your world record? What is your buddy's?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Jester, I question why I run the way I run. Can you help me get faster? I'm rather heavy set and do not have access to a treadmill. Thanks in advance
                          Hey Panda, start by becoming a more efficient walker. Larger humans tend to induce more forward lean in their walking posture. Injury points are common with the big toe of the foot and lower back. Also Plantar Fasciitis is an isue to larger size.
                          Um. Never mind.

A Saucy Wench

Your goal at this point is learning to lean back with your upper body,...blah blah blah... That's the primary difference. If you can become comfortable with pulling your weight instead of leaning forward and pushing yourself rearward, what you've just done is get rid of the biomechanic limits of overstriding.
                            So according to chi running you reduce overstriding and injuries by falling forward and catching your weight and according to jestering you reduce overstriding and injuries by leaning backwards and pulling yourself forward. K' got it.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

jestering
                              Do I have to wear the curly-Q shoes with the points and the little bells on them? Or the funny hat?

Do I have to wear the curly-Q shoes with the points and the little bells on them? Or the funny hat?
                                Do you have to wear them? Ahem, excuse me. You get to wear them, this is a privilege, reserved for only the most esteemed of the elites.