Has anyone ever done two marathons three weeks apart? (Read 1987 times)

Anyone have pizza?

I'm running in NYC this year again, but I was offered a spot to run in Chicago if I raise $$$ for MS. My stepmother has MS, so there are some added personal reasons to do it. Has anyone ever run two marathons three weeks (or even less) apart? What did you do, and how did you feel (especially during your second marathon)?
    JDehlinger

I've done it without problems and actually had times within ~30 seconds of each other. I didn't feel any worse after the second one as I did after the first, although I didn't go all out on either. From looking at the mileage you are putting in already, I wouldn't think it would be much of a problem for you assuming you don't go all out on the first and rest/recover a bit in the days between the two.
      JakeKnight

Since I just answered a similar question, I'll be lazy and cut and paste:
        Do them both. If you feel good after the first, run the second hard. Yes, I know what the books say. If you're like me, the books are wrong. I just ran a significant PR 2 weeks after running a PR effort in another marathon (only the weather kept it from being a PR). And that was just 1 week after a 42 miler. And a 90 mile week. Is there risk? Yeah. My legs are still feeling it. And don't be surprised if you get to mile 18 of the second race and your legs decide you're not running fast anymore. But personally I'm 100% certain that - at least for me - there is a period of 3-4 weeks at the end of a training cycle during which I can run (at least) 2 hard marathons. My last PR came 3 weeks after I set a PR at last year's CMM. Just 3 weeks later, on a much, much harder course, yet I did it 7 minutes faster. It would have been 10 minutes faster but for a massive cramp at mile 24 (which may have been attributable to that earlier marathon). Go for it. Have fun. But be smart. Setting out to run the other one "for fun" isn't a bad idea. I think its precisely because I was thinking that way that I managed to run so fast. Just listen to your body and don't be afraid to dial it back if you think you should.
        My two fastest marathons came within 2-3 weeks of goal marathons. Ditto my 5-K PR - the two most recent were set within one week of setting marathon PRs. Your mileage may vary. Be careful.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

There is a group of folks who run multiple marathons on a regular basis. See www.marathonmaniacs.com. It is not unusual for us to run a "double," i.e., one Saturday and another on Sunday. When you do that, one time usually suffers, but I've done doubles under 7 hours (the 2 times combined) and I'm a 3:30 marathoner. SInce you'd be running Chicago for charity, you can use that as a long run for NYC. grins, Amy, Maniac #130 ps: I ran the Colorado Marathon Sunday (May 4) in 3:35. It was my 7th of the year, and 2 weeks after Boston. I feel fine.
          Masters 2000 miles

Was it all a dream?

I've done it twice. One of the times was the same situation you're pondering (Chicago and then New York). Both times I planned on the first marathon as my goal race, and then did the second one for fun. I think the other way around may work better though. Actually, I'm in the process of testing that theory (I did CMM two weeks ago as a last long run before tapering, and I have my goal marathon next weekend). I'll let you know how it turns out...

I met a woman this weekend who ran a marathon in the late 90s, swore off of them for 9 or 10 years, and then decided to run all 50 states starting in 2006. It's now 2008 and she has run I think in 36 different states and races 40-50 times per year (all distances).

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Anyone have pizza?

That's one of the reasons why I love this group. Everyone's got great advice!! Thanks again!!! Cool
                Scout7

There's a guy from PA who runs 52 marathons a year. He had to start his own around Christmas time just so he could accomplish said feat.
                  obsessor

I've done marathons 20 days apart, and also 50k / marathon 3 weeks apart. 50k / marathon is easier.
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There is a group of folks who run multiple marathons on a regular basis. See www.marathonmaniacs.com.
                      We have a group here: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/MMs
                      There's a guy from PA who runs 52 marathons a year. He had to start his own around Christmas time just so he could accomplish said feat.
                      Dane Rauschenberg. AKA fiddy2: http://www.fiddy2.org/ There is also Chuck Engle. AKA Marathon Junkie: http://www.chuckengle.com/ My best streaks are 2 in 2 weekends (I have done this twice) and 6 in 6 months. Loads of us freaks around.
                        blogrunner, after you finish the second one, you'll be qualified to enter the mm asylum Smile
                        http://rundangerously.blogspot.com

Anyone have pizza?

I just found out that in order to run Chicago for MS Charity, I would have to raise $3000. Ugh. That's even tougher than two marathons back to back..... Black eye
                            Has anyone run two marathons two weeks apart?  Would love input from both maniacs and non-maniacs. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Imminent Catastrophe

50k and marathon 6 days apart. And I'm a slacker in the Asylum.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

What a funny old thread.

65 in a year and 105 in two years reporting in.  This included a couple "rest" weekends, so yes... 2 weeks apart.