Jogging... Not. (Read 2593 times)

I'm a jogger and don't mind being called such. Does that make me a runner? Evil grin
    I was going to say the same thing! Big grin
      Jogger vs. Runner. IMHO, the difference is more attitude than anything. A few examples: A jogger views jogging as an activity. A runner views running as a sport. A jogger sets fitness goals and cares little about performance. A runner sets performance goals and expects fitness gains as a result. A jogger exercises. A runner trains. A jogger exercises when it is convenient to do so. A runner expects some training to be inconvenient. A jogger remains a jogger, even when pace improves as a byproduct of fitness gain. A runner can be novice, intermediate, advanced or champion in the sport, is always striving to move to the next level, and expects fitness improvement to be a byproduct of becoming faster. A jogger jogs at one level of intensity. A runner runs at a number of intensities from very hard to very easy, and knows when and how long to do each. A jogger might enter races, usually for the experience or enjoyment, and even sometimes run one instead of jogging it. A runner enters races to challenge himself/herself, and runs a race less-than-all-out only for a specific training purpose.
        "The difference between a runner and a jogger is an entry blank."
        Over 20 years ago when Dr. Sheehan wrote that, it was largely true. Most who entered races were hardcore runners who were always striving to improve.....they were racers regardless of how fast or slow they were. Few "joggers", or "recreational" and "fitness" runners as they are more widely known today, did. It is different today. Many race participants are in it for for reasons and goals other than to race it as fast as they can.

Over 20 years ago when Dr. Sheehan wrote that, it was largely true. Most who entered races were hardcore runners who were always striving to improve.....they were racers regardless of how fast or slow they were. Few "joggers", or "recreational" and "fitness" runners as they are more widely known today, did. It is different today. Many race participants are in it for for reasons and goals other than to race it as fast as they can.
          Doesn't make a difference to me. It makes it easy for me to differentiate and I don't have to spend hours discussing the differences.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Difference: Joggers aren't on runningahead.com ?
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Difference: Joggers aren't on runningahead.com ?
              That's what I think! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

<threadjack>
                http://www.wearenotjoggers.com/home
                Interesting ad, but what it made me wonder most is, which two species can run farther than us? That seems like a low number to me. Just in the realm of domesticated animals, it would seem that both dogs (think Iditerod) and horses would qualify. Anybody have an idea what the ad is referring to? </threadjack>
                Brandon
                  I dislike only one line from the Izumi ad: "No matter how fast you run on a treadmill you're jogging". BS! Angry The rest is awesome! "Because I like( the key word defining the difference) to run, I tend to feel a little sad when it ends". This is how I always feel and makes me wish to go farther and faster.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

This might be a touchy topic. ... What do you reply to those folks.
                    You could reply something like: 1) Yeah, I started jogging after I read Bill Bowerman's book "Jogging". I started on the program for folks who were reasonably active adults. After 12 weeks I was on level 5, doing interval 100m (ok, 110 yd) in 22 - 23 seconds, about 6 min/mile pace for the intervals. That's jogging. or 2) Yeah, I jogged through the first 20 miles of my first marathon at maybe 7:55 min/mile pace, then kicked it up to 6:30 m/m to the finish. I jogged a bunch of marathons in 3:30 or better. I did a 100K at about 9 min/mile. I enjoy this jogging stuff. or 3) Yeah, once I did a marathon in 2:57, got 3 hours sleep and drove 180 miles for another marathon in 3:41 the next day. This jogging is fun. You ought to try it. Well, anyway, that's what I'd reply... Smile Gino
                      Okay folks we all know this is the authoritative source and for now here's what it says.... till someone changes it!.... or someone or some group decides to dispute it... or say it's political or something.... Black eye Jogging is a form of trotting or running at a slow or leisurely pace. The main intention is to increase fitness with less stress than actually running, instead of competition. The definition of jogging as compared with running is not standard. Dr. George Sheehan, a running expert, is quoted to have said "the difference between a jogger and a runner is an entry blank".[1] Others are usually more specific, defining jogging as running slower than 6mph (10 minute per mile pace, 10 km/h, 6 min/km).

Vim

...---...

If you're doing it for you, the name is irrelevant.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

running slower than 6mph (10 minute per mile pace, 10 km/h, 6 min/km).
                          It is clear that the distinction has nothing to do with pace. A 10 m/m pace, in this example, is an outright sprint for some folks, while a 7 m/m pace is nearly walking for others.
                            When I think of joggers, I think of "Three's Company" or "The Love Boat" You know, velour suits, sweatbands, etc.

- Anya

This debate is giving me a powerful hankering for some Jogging in a Jug.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It is clear that the distinction has nothing to do with pace. A 10 m/m pace, in this example, is an outright sprint for some folks, while a 7 m/m pace is nearly walking for others.
                                Yep. I rarely get under 10 minutes with the exception of races and speedwork. Considering I used to run at ~13 minute/mile pace for only a mile or two, I think 10 minute/mile for 10 miles or more is blazing fast. Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay