Goal of sub 1:40 half. (Read 3802 times)

Maybe we don't need any more "goal" threads..but I can't be the only one who likes the idea of 100 minutes (nice round number!) for the half.

I recently ran a 1:43 so hope by this October I can break 100 minutes on a faster course. I would really like to break 1:38 but that may be a bit optimistic; certainly not able to join any of the faster goal threads!

I hope to discuss training plans and share tips with others who have the same or similar goal, and get motivated to get back into serious training. As age is starting to work against me, this year may be my best shot.

Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

xor

I'm down with this, though mostly because I don't want to start another thread.  I've broken 1:40... but I want to hit 1:30 in September (I'd be happy with 1:30:59).  My last one was 1:35ish, and a 5 minute shave in a half is a lot.  We'll see.

Good luck, Simon.

My training suggestion is... do marathon training (as many miles as you can stand, lots of easy stuff, some tempo, maybe some 800-1600 intervals at some point, strides are cool) but you don't have to go super-long for the weekly long run.  I'd definitely recommend going 15ish miles, though.  Meaning... while many marathoners never hit the full distance during training, it is helpful for a half to go beyond 13.1 in training.

Good luck, Simon.

My training suggestion is... do marathon training (as many miles as you can stand, lots of easy stuff, some tempo, maybe some 800-1600 intervals at some point, strides are cool) but you don't have to go super-long for the weekly long run.  I'd definitely recommend going 15ish miles, though.  Meaning... while many marathoners never hit the full distance during training, it is helpful for a half to go beyond 13.1 in training.

+1 ... went from 1:54 to 1:48 to 1:38 on a steady diet of increased mileage with weekly long runs.  You absolutely can do it as you are right there -- how much time before the next 1/2?

2012= under-goaled

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Hmmm...

Just ran a 3:44 marathon which shows about a 1:46ish for a half.

Too soon to throw my hat into this ring?

I personally really like the goal threads and find that they've been very helpful to me. Apparently I'm not the only one given the popularity of some of the threads.

If people don't reply the thread will slowly drop down but if you hit critical mass then you've got a great support group.

John

Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.
            xor

Hmmm...

Just ran a 3:44 marathon which shows about a 1:46ish for a half.

Too soon to throw my hat into this ring?

Not at all!  I mean, you probably wouldn't want to try to crank out a 1:39 this weekend, but you are on your way.  I don't know how you've decided to approach your next set of marathon goals, but getting faster in the half will help.

It's also a lot of fun.  (more fun, in my opinion, than the full... for lots of reasons)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Lots of mileage with a healthy dose of LT training for the balance of the year with 1 maybe 3 HMs thrown in to boot was my general plan anyway for now until late fall.

I'm totally in! This is my first "goal of" thread participation. I feel like I've crossed a milestone.

JimR

I chatted briefly with a girl who finished just ahead of me in the Mississauga half a few weeks back.  She said based on her times she was thinking she could do about 1:45 or so, she opted to ignore all that and ran 1:33.  It's a difficult one to judge because it depends on how close to your limits you run in other events.  Results in fulls are hard to go by because the vast majority of marathoners are undertrained for the distance even if they think they did well.
                  Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I chatted briefly with a girl who finished just ahead of me in the Mississauga half a few weeks back.  She said based on her times she was thinking she could do about 1:45 or so, she opted to ignore all that and ran 1:33.  It's a difficult one to judge because it depends on how close to your limits you run in other events.  Results in fulls are hard to go by because the vast majority of marathoners are undertrained for the distance even if they think they did well.

Agreed.

However my last tune up race was a 10 miler and my marathon was within a minute or so of my predicted time based on my performance for my 10 miler. I felt almost as good about the fact that the race calculator worked as I did about my performance overall. I know the calculators don't mean anything if you're not trained and I took the accuracy as an indication that I was pretty well set for Bayshore.

Prince of Fatness

I think you can do it Simon.  I broke the barrier last year and just lowered it a notch early this month.  An increase of miles over a longer period of time is what did it for me.  Those plans are OK but they only last 2 - 3 months.  That's not long enough.  I'm telling you, if you can find a way to run 40 - 50 miles a week for 6 months you would be a lock.

Consistent miles over a long period of time.

Not at it at all. 

Glad to see there is interest!

Mr. Inertia I think you can do it as soon as you fully recover from your marathon, a full in 3:44 must be equivalent to a 100 minute half.

SR and Slimbo, I agree, and about a month ago bought the Pfitzinger book for "advanced marathon" training. I had in mind it would be a good test to see if I might be able to move up to the full next year, as well as being a great training plan (the 55 mile version) for the half.

I have done lots of 15-18 mile runs, once 20 miles, in training for the half. I have run 5 of them previously, my target race is in mid-October, the Goodlife Fitness Toronto Marathon and Half Marathon.

I built up to some 40 mile weeks this spring and came within 30 seconds of my PB on a considerably tougher course, so am pretty sure of the 1:40, I guess 1:38 is the real goal, but that will be a stretch.

Mr.PH, I feel like I am chasing you, thanks for the advice you have already given; hope you don't mind pacing me.

Simon, My HM is Sunday.  Currently my goal for this one is 142:30, and a 1:42 is reachable if all is well.  I'm running well right now and feeling good, but I'm questioning this two week taper without any long runs.  I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

Then I'm going to start training for a full Marathon in Oct which will include a HM in late Sept.  If I remain healthy, I'm going to shoot for a 1:40 in that HM

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I'm thinking lots of mileage, long runs up to what, like 16 maybe 18 miles, tons and tons of LT training (much of that mixed in with med/long runs) and a smattering 1000-1600 intervals at 5k race pace?

Mr Inertia, that is just about exactly the plan I will be following from Pfitzinger, though he has 100m strides at the end of some runs. This is something I have not done before, as I am not really interested in how fast i sprint the last hundred meters, but apparently it benefits running form.

Jim that's weird how someone who must be a regular runner (to run 1:33) could guess 1:45. That's a huge difference.

After taking off most of the month I ran a very hilly 10k in 49:55, on a windy day. I did not run this at true maximum effort as I did not want to risk injury, but a decently hard effort.

This equates to about 1:51 for the half, whereas I ran a hilly half in 1:43:25 at the end of April. So it seems the inactivity cost me about 4- 5%.  interesting to know....

I think I am in 1:55 half shape right now,  based on my time trial 2:03 half last month (a day after I played soccer for 2 hours ouch), so while this is my stated goal, I am probably atleast a year away.  

If this group gets going will be interested in the training that gets you all there.  I mostly know what I need to do - longer long runs, and more consistent 40 -45 miles a week,  just not enough time in the weekend to get the long runs done.  Need to get up earlier, and summer should help.