Low HR Training

"Expose Your Slow Twitchers" Daily Maffetone and/or Low-HR Training Reports (Read 23292 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Lol.

Not every one has a diuretic. Mine does not and main side effect is water retention. But it's the only one that does not wreck with endurance so it's this one or not running as well. Diuretics actually don't do much for me. I am in one already; no change in water retention (or peeing for that matter).

Damaris

BeeRunB

Lol.

Not every one has a diuretic. Mine does not and main side effect is water retention. But it's the only one that does not wreck with endurance so it's this one or not running as well. Diuretics actually don't do much for me. I am in one already; no change in water retention (or peeing for that matter).

Until you reach your 50's of course, then everyone's peeing and learning new sleep patterns!

TODAY:

50:00

Experimented with nasal breathing for Erics Poor Man's HRM thread.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

5 and 4 yesterday and today.

Damaris

BeeRunB

1:05:00

45-minute MAF test

Adjusted MAF to 141 bpm. The same as ten years ago. All signs from all my tests and experiments show that it is a high probability that my MAF is in that area. It equates to about 70% MHR, which is pretty much where the aerobic threshold is supposed to be. Going to go with that for awhile. I'm substantially slower at that HR than ten years ago, but it's not as bad as it looks as I'm now doing MAF tests in the mid-80º's as opposed to the mid 60º's back then. And I'm 17-20 lbs. heavier.  

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ran 5 TM miles at 130s.

Jimmy, what's your MAF (180-Age?)  Just curious about the difference between them and how did you calculate it.

Damaris

BeeRunB

Ran 5 TM miles at 130s.

Jimmy, what's your MAF (180-Age?)  Just curious about the difference between them and how did you calculate it.

Basic formula with no adjustments: 180-55 years=125 bpm

I started with MAF when I was 44...180-44=136 + 5 beats for being fit  = 141

The 141 is basically coming from the RQ test I took that showed a clear increase in sugar burning at 142 and up. This is the result of the the anaerobic fibers kicking in. It's possible they're kicking in ever so slightly a little earlier, but there is a long plateau in sugar burning between the HR of about  132-142. With some recent experiments with the nasal-breathing (breathing just through nose, and needing to be breath through my mouth at about 142), gate, and studying changes in my breath ( there is a slight change in breathing around 132 and a bigger shift at 142).

My MHR has not changed in 10 years. I'm still reaching 198-200. My RHR has not changed either. Still high 40's.

141 is about 70% MHR. I've read that the "aerobic threshold" which sounds like MAF to me when I read the definition is around 70% MHR or aprox 30 beats below AT. My AT is around 176. 141-142 is pretty close to the -30 beats..

This chart  from my test one more time:

You can see how my sugar/fat ratio plateaus between 130-142 bpm, then a steep rise in sugar burning (as the anaerobic fibers are engaged). In Maffetone's terms, the MAF is that deflection point in sugar burning, which coincides with 142 HR.

I'm using 141 just keep in line with the past, and is as good as 142.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Love it and love all that data!  I feel mine is still somewhere around the 145s (outside) for similar reasons (but more with my gut rather than science, LOL).  Interesting analysis, thanks!

Damaris

BeeRunB

Yer welcome. 

0:50:00

intervals 4 x .5 mile

zone 178-188 bpm

Coming along. Have a great weekend!

BeeRunB

8 miles

1:52:00

MAF run

oh, no, it seems like I might be the only one left in the forum. Is it dying?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! Ran 12 with the last 6 @ MP on a slippery TM thanks to hubby spilling some of the TM lubricating oil on it.  I finally cleaned it yesterday but not before we felt we were skating for a few days.  I ran 4 on Monday and 5 yesterday.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

8 miles

1:52:00

MAF run

oh, no, it seems like I might be the only one left in the forum. Is it dying?

I hope not!  I like the forum!

Damaris

BeeRunB

I hope not!  I like the forum!

Haven't heard from Ron or Liz (Buzzie) in a few weeks. It's pretty much just the four of us these days. I find myself holding back posting workouts during short, dry periods in which no one is posting, because it would end up just be me posting 5 in a row, as if I were in a forum all by myself. I like to post on different subjects, figuring if I belong to a forum might as well contribute, but there is little response these days to those threads. You know how WW2 vets have reunions every year? There always comes a year when there's only one guy left and the reunions stop. Starting to feel like that. Perhaps, the whole RunningAhead website is becoming archaic for people, and they're starting Facebook or Reddit groups. I think people like having more control over the content they post, and being able to post video. Deleting here is hard work. All video is just a link to another site here. No embedding. I'm not on Facebook, and don't plan to be. Been to that data-gathering, unwanted blasts from the past hell once already. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Boo.  I understand.  I just don't like it, LOL.

Damaris

BeeRunB

Boo.  I understand.  I just don't like it, LOL.

About Facebook?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

About Facebook?

No, this forum dying.

Damaris